New binding beneficiary option
NSF Super’s Trust Deed will be amended from 1 July 2016 to enable binding death benefit nominations. This option will provide you with greater estate planning flexibility and peace of mind when nominating loved ones to receive your super benefit upon your death.
Currently, NSF Super members are only able to make non-binding death benefit nominations, whilst NSF Pension members are able to make both non-binding and reversionary death benefit nominations. These nomination options will remain in place.
What are the benefits?
- Provides you with certainty when making choices about who gets what in the event of your death, which helps to make your estate planning more precise and effective
- Provides a more effective estate planning option to members seeking to avoid potential legal challenges or minimise estate tax implications
- Simplifies the death benefit claim process for members with a valid binding death benefit nomination in place – reducing the period of time between notification of death and payment of a death benefit.
How to make a binding nomination
To make a binding beneficiary nomination, you must complete the Binding Death Benefit Nomination form (download from our website from 1 July) :
- You can nominate your legal personal representative (i.e. Estate) and/or any dependants (i.e. current spouse, children, financial dependant, interdependent relation)
- The form must be signed and dated by you and witnessed by two adults who are not named beneficiaries
- Once we receive your valid Binding Death Benefit Nomination form, we will process your request and send you a confirmation
- You can revoke or amend your binding nomination at any time.
Keeping a binding nomination current
Any binding nomination you make will remain in place for a period of three years from the date you made the nomination, and would need to be renewed prior to expiry to remain valid.
It’s important to regularly review a binding death benefit nomination and keep it up to date when your circumstances change, as a valid nomination cannot be overridden by the Trustee.
To register your interest to receive a Binding Death Benefit Nomination form, please contact the NSF Super team on 1800 025 241 or by emailing email@example.com