Your Overseas Holiday Planner
Before you even consider taking a holiday overseas, you’ll need to start planning early (ideally a few months in advance), to ensure you have an adequate amount of time to get everything done.
The following are 14 things that you should focus on doing before heading off on your trip:
- Determine the budget that you can afford for the holiday.
- Determine the dates of your trip.
- Book adequate leave from any obligations you may have, such as work or school.
- Save adequate funds so that you can afford the trip.
- Book transportation and accommodation well in advance. As well as giving you peace of mind, this gives you time to take advantage of any sales or deals that come up.
- Put together a detailed itinerary for your trip, including dates of travel and any activities that you may plan or book in advance.
- Make sure your passport is up to date, and be sure to apply for any needed visas.
- Arrange for the appropriate level of travel insurance.
- Get yourself a travel money card and a travel credit card that you can use while traveling abroad. It may also be wise to order some local currency in advance so you have cash available as soon as you arrive.
- Research your destination so you understand the culture, language and customs, so you can ensure you always act appropriately.
- Consider getting a temporary, international phone plan that allows you to use international roaming (data), texting, and calling.
- Invest in yourself by getting a check-up at your GP, and any recommended vaccinations before you embark.
- Start packing your bags at least one week before you leave.
- Check out the Smart Traveller website for other tips to help you remain safe overseas.
These are just a few of steps you should take if you are considering an overseas holiday. Planning these things ahead of time can help ensure you avoid the last minute ‘frazzled’ feeling that can occur before you head off.
For tips to help you save for your trip, check out our blog.